Dear Elizabeth Smart,
I've been thinking a lot about your experiences and recent Autobiography which aired on television the other night. I can't even imagine what you must have been through, but I do believe your story is a story of FAITH, HOPE, and of MIRACLES!!!
I think back on my own life experiences, since this all happened. I was 22 years old when you were kidnapped. I remember the billboards while driving along I-15, her sweet face, and wondering if she'd ever be found. I had believed she would, but as time was passing, it seemed to be too late. I felt the LOVE her family had, their hopes and prayers for her rescue and return, and we prayed for it too. It was REAL. Family LOVE is POWERFUL, and it can be felt and touched by EVERYONE. It is this LOVE of FAMILY and Faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ that I wish to write about, and I don't think it can be written or spoken of enough.
I love Elizabeth Smart. I loved watching her Autobiography and hearing her speak in her own words. She is an absolute HERO and survivor to me! There is so much learning and GOOD I hope we can each LEARN and DO from something that happened to someone so BAD!
In my own life experiences, I have had much to struggle over and gain. On February 12, 2003, while she was left by her captor to literally starve and die of thirst, I was going to bed (in my older brothers room), the night before my wedding. I'll admit, I didn't go to sleep that night without first considering the biggest decision I would ever make that would not only effect me, but, I did and I put my thoughts aside and went to sleep. (I was a good sleeper, then ;). The next morning, I remember my parents driving me to the temple, their only daughter, alone in the back seat. I felt a little awkward (silence perhaps) and maybe they sensed a little bit of the uncertainty of my decision, so my Dad finally said something like, "you know, it's not too late to change your mind" and my mom kind-of looked at him, probably surprised. I mean, we were on our way to the Temple, I couldn't be that person who backs out at the last minute, right? So I remained quiet and determined to follow through on my choice. I remember there I met my husband-to-be and I remember we were invited to sit in the Celestial Room before the ceremony, with his Grandpa Bradley also nearby, preparing to perform the sealing ordinance. Again, I didn't have any real peace or assurance of the decision I was making that day. Let's just say I was making a pretty rash decision to get married! (I really can't believe I am writing this). I mean, how does an LDS 22 year old girl, at the "top of her game" a college graduate, make such a rash decision? Why had I acted DESPERATE? Well, we could probably write a book about girls and their righteous ideals, but in the end, he asked me to marry him and I said YES! I wanted the right things! I thought we could MAKE it work, by FAITH and just create those feelings by having SEX! Let's just say, FOURTEEN almost FIFTEEN years later, I am still putting my FAITH and SEX to the test ;), and in all due respect (it is working).
No wonder why we've had our marital challenges. We've been through it all! I guess I don't need to dive into every detail, but we've faced our challenges and we've faced them head on! We are no strangers to contention, but we have raised BEAUTIFUL family which is my greatest blessing.
But Why am I writing of Elizabeth Smart? Because she has helped me to realize the greatest blessings I have. I am married to a GOOD MAN! He's respectful, HARD WORKING, patient, creates humor in situations when needed, a GREAT FATHER and HUSBAND. He's quick to say I'm sorry-you can't ask for anything more than that! He has been my counselor, the one I have turned to in my DOUBT and STRUGGLES. I look to him as I do MY GOD, because He is a Man of God. Our STRENGTH has been our FAITH in GOD. I realize I am a lucky girl! Not all stories like mine would have a happy ending if I hadn't have married such a GOOD MAN and if we both didn't have testimonies of the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentance, and of his restored Gospel, on the earth today!
There is no doubt that your father loved you, and your Mother! And there is NO DOUBT that my Father and Mother loved me! But we still might wonder WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME? Why do we have to struggle? Some of our consequences are sadly the result of other people's choices, but some are the result of our own. Nevertheless, there is always a consequence to our decisions, (especially the big ones) RIGHT or WRONG. I believe this is where the Atonement of our Savior comes to play. Whether it be the results of our own or others, we need the Atonement of our Lord and Savior to HEAL our lives, and to help us repent when needed. I know we need FAITH in an Atonement that condemns the sinner but can also heal the penitent. I know that through the Lord Jesus Christ, that every wrong can be made right through Him. I know our Savior lives and loves us!
I believe it was the Faith and HOPE that led to the miracle of your return. And I believe that it is this same Faith and Hope that can save all of us, especially our marriages and families.
I'm so grateful for my knowledge of FAITH and HOPE through the Lord Jesus Christ, and it is my hope that we might all share and experience more of His Charity and MIRACLES in our own lives.
In the name, of JESUS CHRIST, Amen.
I've been thinking a lot about your experiences and recent Autobiography which aired on television the other night. I can't even imagine what you must have been through, but I do believe your story is a story of FAITH, HOPE, and of MIRACLES!!!
I think back on my own life experiences, since this all happened. I was 22 years old when you were kidnapped. I remember the billboards while driving along I-15, her sweet face, and wondering if she'd ever be found. I had believed she would, but as time was passing, it seemed to be too late. I felt the LOVE her family had, their hopes and prayers for her rescue and return, and we prayed for it too. It was REAL. Family LOVE is POWERFUL, and it can be felt and touched by EVERYONE. It is this LOVE of FAMILY and Faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ that I wish to write about, and I don't think it can be written or spoken of enough.
I love Elizabeth Smart. I loved watching her Autobiography and hearing her speak in her own words. She is an absolute HERO and survivor to me! There is so much learning and GOOD I hope we can each LEARN and DO from something that happened to someone so BAD!
In my own life experiences, I have had much to struggle over and gain. On February 12, 2003, while she was left by her captor to literally starve and die of thirst, I was going to bed (in my older brothers room), the night before my wedding. I'll admit, I didn't go to sleep that night without first considering the biggest decision I would ever make that would not only effect me, but, I did and I put my thoughts aside and went to sleep. (I was a good sleeper, then ;). The next morning, I remember my parents driving me to the temple, their only daughter, alone in the back seat. I felt a little awkward (silence perhaps) and maybe they sensed a little bit of the uncertainty of my decision, so my Dad finally said something like, "you know, it's not too late to change your mind" and my mom kind-of looked at him, probably surprised. I mean, we were on our way to the Temple, I couldn't be that person who backs out at the last minute, right? So I remained quiet and determined to follow through on my choice. I remember there I met my husband-to-be and I remember we were invited to sit in the Celestial Room before the ceremony, with his Grandpa Bradley also nearby, preparing to perform the sealing ordinance. Again, I didn't have any real peace or assurance of the decision I was making that day. Let's just say I was making a pretty rash decision to get married! (I really can't believe I am writing this). I mean, how does an LDS 22 year old girl, at the "top of her game" a college graduate, make such a rash decision? Why had I acted DESPERATE? Well, we could probably write a book about girls and their righteous ideals, but in the end, he asked me to marry him and I said YES! I wanted the right things! I thought we could MAKE it work, by FAITH and just create those feelings by having SEX! Let's just say, FOURTEEN almost FIFTEEN years later, I am still putting my FAITH and SEX to the test ;), and in all due respect (it is working).
No wonder why we've had our marital challenges. We've been through it all! I guess I don't need to dive into every detail, but we've faced our challenges and we've faced them head on! We are no strangers to contention, but we have raised BEAUTIFUL family which is my greatest blessing.
But Why am I writing of Elizabeth Smart? Because she has helped me to realize the greatest blessings I have. I am married to a GOOD MAN! He's respectful, HARD WORKING, patient, creates humor in situations when needed, a GREAT FATHER and HUSBAND. He's quick to say I'm sorry-you can't ask for anything more than that! He has been my counselor, the one I have turned to in my DOUBT and STRUGGLES. I look to him as I do MY GOD, because He is a Man of God. Our STRENGTH has been our FAITH in GOD. I realize I am a lucky girl! Not all stories like mine would have a happy ending if I hadn't have married such a GOOD MAN and if we both didn't have testimonies of the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentance, and of his restored Gospel, on the earth today!
There is no doubt that your father loved you, and your Mother! And there is NO DOUBT that my Father and Mother loved me! But we still might wonder WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME? Why do we have to struggle? Some of our consequences are sadly the result of other people's choices, but some are the result of our own. Nevertheless, there is always a consequence to our decisions, (especially the big ones) RIGHT or WRONG. I believe this is where the Atonement of our Savior comes to play. Whether it be the results of our own or others, we need the Atonement of our Lord and Savior to HEAL our lives, and to help us repent when needed. I know we need FAITH in an Atonement that condemns the sinner but can also heal the penitent. I know that through the Lord Jesus Christ, that every wrong can be made right through Him. I know our Savior lives and loves us!
I believe it was the Faith and HOPE that led to the miracle of your return. And I believe that it is this same Faith and Hope that can save all of us, especially our marriages and families.
I'm so grateful for my knowledge of FAITH and HOPE through the Lord Jesus Christ, and it is my hope that we might all share and experience more of His Charity and MIRACLES in our own lives.
In the name, of JESUS CHRIST, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment