For Christmas 2021, we surprised the kids with a planned trip to the Big Island of Hawaii! With the help of Brett's mom, we were able to rent a VRBO at Waikola Village (I think that's the name) and a BIG Ford Transit Van. We were going to have plenty of room and comfort to drive and explore the island together!
Brett's brother John found the tickets on Southwest Airlines for a great price too! We had one layover in Phoenix, AZ, but we were able to get all our vaccination requirements taken care of in the airport before the long haul to Hawaii! I'm grateful Grandma Parry had her tablet for the girls during the airplane rides!
The kids did great and we brought a few extra bags for snorkeling, boogie boarding and other toys!
Arriving in Phoenix

Arriving in Kona!
The first day we went on a drive to the Hilo side and our first stop was at this beautiful overlook. The kids got in to some trouble with their football, almost lost it a few times on this trip. We met some people from Sweden and had a nice bathroom break here as well.
Next we spent the day on a waterfall scavenger hunt!
Brett and the kids ended up finding and jumping in at Eagles nest Falls.
The culminating waterfall experience for me was going to Rainbow Falls! I felt all the love as each one of my kids stood for a hug and a picture with me! (Hannah and Ava took selfies) :)
Finally, we made it to the Volcanos National State Park. I knew we wanted to hike the lava caves and see the hot lava, but we started at the very end of the park at the big crater and made our way backwards. Stopping to feel the hot steam out of the ground is a must!
Crater
The steam out of the ground was so refreshing!
We all got "steam" showered!
Real Hot Lava!
Hiking the 2 1/2 miles to see the hot lava was longer than we expected (parking in the overflow parking added a 1/2 mile). We almost hiked home in the dark! I am proud of my family! We all made it!
Lava Caves
The next day, we decided to hit Hapuna Beach, the best beach on the island! We played in the sand, made sand balls and Brett and the kids set up our favorite beach activities, Spike Ball and paddle pall!
I saw our first and only rainbow playing in the sprinklers when we parked at Hapuna Beach.
Ava and I took a nice walk down to the end of the beach to these rocks. This girl is always up for anything! Brett and I hit the pall back and forth 52 times, but I believe Cameron beat our record by 200 points! Brett and Ava also took a walk and snuck into the neighboring hotel pools, which they loved!
I am missing a lot of photos from my husband, but that night, we met up with my friend Kim who was visiting from the island of Maui to watch the Manta Rays from the deck of the Outrigger hotel. Beautiful.
Saturday, we decided to take the recommendation of someone we met at our pool and try a quiet beach by the the Hilton Hotel. We had no idea where it was but that it was near the Hilton hotel. We ended up taking a nice long walk, carrying lots of stuff, but I still enjoyed the scenery and rocks. I wish I had more pictures, but here it is, it wasn't too eventful.
It was a little boring but relaxing for Judy and I.
Judy said she'd take us out to get snow-cones afterwords, so she googled "snow-cones near me" and we found the BEST snow cones in the island! Seriously, it was in the same complex of "A-Bays" that I wanted to go to for breakfast, but never did, but it was worth one of those, I promise! Thank you again Grandma Judy!!!
Best Sno-cones on the island with Pua which is a purple potatoe icecream! I loved it!
Do you know the name of the Hawaii state fish? Humuhumunukunukuapua'a
We also met a nice couple here on the pier and picked up a couple of new fun jokes from them. First she shared the kitty joke: there were 5 kitties on a boat, rowing, one 1 of the kittens saw a fish and jumped out, how many kittens were left? you would think 4, but you would be wrong because they were all copy cats!
Second he shared a puppy joke: about a puppy who loved to go out side and play. One day he got tired so he sat on a piece of sand paper and said "ruff ruff". ha ha!
With Sunday being the next day, we had to prepare by doing some shopping on Saturday. I bought some frozen hot dogs, buns, and pizzas and salad, for grilling the next day.
Sunday morning we decided to wake up and drive to the closest church. I am grateful we found one because the local couple told us it was all on zoom! But with a little research, we happened to have church in one of the most beautiful meeting houses located on the island, and right in front of the Kona Temple. The boys helped pass the sacrament and we had Sunday school outside in the pavilion...I always cherish opportunities to worship when we are visiting and especially in such a beautiful way!
If you look closely, we were just outside the Kona Temple! We were so blessed to have Sunday school in front of the temple on such a beautiful day! I'll always remember the person teaching the lesson how she bared her testimony about the temple and the lady who lead the sacrament meeting music led with such conviction and heart!
After church, we went home for lunch and then Brett took us on another adventure on the far North end of the island to hike Ku Kiai'i Palolu! It was a bit steep, but a stunningly beautiful hike! I'm grateful Judy was there because my boys needed some help practicing serving and helping others, rather than fighting each other. They each took turns helping her with her bad knees up the steep climb. And I helped Hannah use the bathroom (in the trees). In case you were wondering.
The name of the hike
It looked like a river that must have come from ocean water.
Black sand!
Eric trying to fend off his brothers.
Monday was our big snorkeling excursion day. One of my favorite day of activities too! First, we rented kayaks and rowed 1.4 miles across open water to a world famous snorkeling spot at Captain Cooks Bay. The water was clear and we saw a lot of yellow fish. Grandma, Hannah and Tanner were in one kayak while Brett, Ava and I were in the other. Cameron and Eric were on their own in a double kayak. We had the option of reserving a tour boat or hiking 2 miles to the same spot, but this was more of an adventure (and probably saved a little $$). Eric snuck on to one of the tour boats and went down their water slide! I think he made $10 doing it. Tanner and I had to row through the big roller waves on our way in, but we all made it safe and sound. Whew!!!
Next, we wanted to try another snorkeling spot at Two-Step Beach. It was walking distance from the National Park parking lot, so we decided to park there and take a little tour first. The grounds were very sacred and beautiful!
Two-Step Beach did not disappoint! I wasn't sure at first, with all the black lava rock for a beach, if we were going to get along, but I'm so glad we did! Everyone ended up enjoying it there, with Hannah and Ava hanging in the baby pools, Eric and Cameron snorkeling way out together and Tanner getting his "tan" on :). I got to swim and hang with a baby green turtle! I'm so glad we got to snorkel again at two-step beach because it gets it's name from the two steps that make getting in and out of the ocean a little easier! I even Judy snorkeled again!
My favorite snorkeling spot!
Outside Umekes (fine dining)
On the way home from our long snorkeling excursion day, Brett took us out to some fine dining!
Our final day on the island, we chose to go pack to Hapuna Beach! Ava just wanted to go to the pool, which we did, in the end, and we got to see the most beautiful sunset which reminded me of God's love for each of us and how we can try to be better each new day to be closer to Him! I love my family and my Heavenly Father!
We pulled over on one of our long drives to see the sunset, I'm going to miss this place!
We had a layover in Phoenix on the way home so we all took an Uber to do some racing! This was super fun to watch Hannah and Ava race each other first. Scott and Kristin also met us there and took us to dinner. We learned some good soccer advice from Scott. "Go to the Ball!"
I'll have to add more pictures!
Comments
Post a Comment