Skip to main content

Hiking to Timpanogos Cave 2022: Dedicated to Julie

 This year is the Centennial Year of Timpanogos Cave becoming a National Monument.  This has become a special place in my heart as it started with a friends invitation to hike up the trail, as it is a good climb, beautiful views and great exercise.  I enjoyed it so much I invited a group of friends from our hiking group to join me on the hike a couple of weeks later, never realizing what we would run into.  Before you begin the hike, you meet a ranger who explains some of the rules on the trail.  No running on the trail, no stopping or standing in the red lined zones, I knew and had heard the rules before, so when I noticed a woman running down the trail, and then her friend running after her, I stopped to ask if everything was ok.  She said her friend had been hit in the head by a rock, and they didn't know if she was going to make it.  I remember, the 4 of us friends, stopped along the way to say a prayer, and we weren't even sure if we should keep going, in case of more falling rocks.  We were about 3/4 of the way up, when we noticed then bringing her down the trail in a gurney.  We were able to grab on and help relieve the burden and carry her down.  Her friend, Heather, was holding her head, talking and praying to her to hold on.  We all prayed out load and silently.   I had no idea how serious it was, until I heard her brain had swollen.  I totally believed in miracles and thought she would be ok.  I kept in touch with one of the friends, and she gave me updates.  I was able to share the experience with my kids, how she loved and had been praying for them.    She had six kids and not all of them were active in the church.  Her friends had said she had been praying for them, and they believe this was an answer to her prayers!  I believe in life after death and that the work continues on the other side of the veil and that she must have been ready!  God is aware of her and each one of us.  Although it didn't turn out the way we thought it would, I know someday it will be made right, through the Atoning Power of Jesus Christ.  That there is a restitution of all things!  What a selfless and eternal friend and mother she is.  I believe she was willing and prepared to meet God, I look forward to the day when we get to meet too.  

She had showed some signs of improvement, but after 28 days or so of being in a coma, and with little activity, her husband and family had to make the difficult decision to let her go.  We will be a forever friend because I believe God knew her and she was willing and prepared to give her life. She lived a life of love and service, without hesitation, and I felt like she was someone I could be friends with and I look forward to the day when we can meet and she and our friends can continue the climb.  

I love these ladies I was hiking with, and I have since been back to honor her and the others who helped her.  They made an emblem that says, "a hike in nature brings the soul back home."  I feel that come true on our daily hikes, and I hope that's true for her and our precious children as well.  



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking with Friends

 Hiking with Friends is the best. I don't have enough words or time to explain all the goodness that has come to my life through this healthy and positive outlet, but these women are some of the BEST I know!  We always come away feeling revived and better and stronger, ready to take on the world!  Seriously, I feel like I can tackle and help solve the worlds problems, not to mention my own.  All your problems can be solved when you hike or everything seems to comes full circle when we hike with friends!  It's like a symbolic journey!  Come and see! :)

Disneyland Girls Trip

  You know you've always wanted to, and somehow, dreams do come true!  Brett had a work conference in Anaheim, so we thought it was the perfect opportunity to take our girls to Disneyland and California Adventure!  We arrived Monday and stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge.  We enjoyed the flow rider and all the tube rides as a family!  Then it was off to Brett's hotel the next day at the Hilton!  I didn't realize how expensive it would be to buy tickets to Disneyland, but we didn't fly all that way for nothing!  I would say the lines weren't too crowded in the morning. This is a week or two after Utah's spring break.  We got lucky and got right on Peter Pan!  Hannah LOVED the fast train ride, although she almost backed out, but it ended up being the last ride we rode of the day as well!  Some other highlights was "It's a Small World" and Shopping in Toon town!  We didn't have any agenda, so it was surprising to fall into "The Rise of the...

Elder Parry

 It's been over a year since Tanner Adam Parry started his mission, left home, and bravely walked into security to fly across the world to serve the people in the Vitoria Brazil Mission!  It has been a joy to talk to him and to receive updates about the area and people he is serving.  He says the people are like family there.  I think he has especially had some tender mercies meeting kids.  One disabled boy helped him realize other's might have it harder than him physically and are still happy.  Another experience, visiting a school of kids.  They all thought he was famous (or was it his mom) lol.  ;).  He's overcome a lot of challenges that has helped us to grow closer to each other and to our Savior and that has blessed me personally.  As he comes to me or as he represents the Savior it has personally blessed me.   Hopefully we are still relying on Him to help us become the best we can be everyday.  And perhaps, we can c...