The island of Kaua'i is a special place, and I'm so grateful I could spend some of my time there with my family-mi Familia-this year! Brett and I got to take our kids to some place special where we had been 5 years earlier. He and his mom Judy had arranged for us to stay at her (Wyndham Resort) Time Share in Princeville. But before we got that, Brett had planned to hike the Napoli Coast (11 miles, one way, back-packing, 2 nights with my 3 boys). He needed a permit to do this and to park in the parking lot, but we were lucky enough to reserve one before our trip. Anyway, when I heard his plans (and knowing we hadn't made it to the waterfall before and also knowing I had been doing a lot of hiking regularly myself) I thought this was my chance to redeem myself and I could come too! But Brett didn't think it was a good idea (I mean it is 22 miles total--with a pack) BUT...when my brother Jim and his family came, he changed his plans for the good of the group and we decided to just hike to the Waterfall instead (2 miles to the beach, 2 miles up, and 8 miles round trip) and I think my boys and I enjoyed it way better! It turned out to be a pretty rigorous, 8 miles round trip hike (bring plenty of water and a filtered water bottle if you have one) and you can do it too! Check it out and these views along the way!
The Napoli Coast

Isn't that a site to see!!! :) Smile, Smile, smile! :)
And this is just the beginning...
Lydgate Beach
We did it all! The first day, we wanted to check out the beaches, so we started at Lydgate Beach. This is a perfect beach for small children, as they make a two man made pools, of ocean water of course and there are fish swimming in it. Some people were feeding the fish peas, which was fun, so we snorkled a little here. Nice safe beach. They have an awesome couple of parks across from the beach as well, which we enjoyed!
Making friends on the beach
Poi'ipu
Then it was down to Poi'ipu Beach for some snorkeling and sea turtles!
Cousins make life fun! It was so fun to see cousins at the Beach!!!
Princeville-Wyndham Resort (and Condo we stayed at)
The girls love playing in the pool. Definitely doesn't take long to make them happy!
This is the first pool we played in (we had to rent two condos for our time in Princeville)
This is in Cameron and Eric standing in front of the resort we stayed at
Outside our condo
Eric and Grandma Parry
Bike Riding
We took a long bike ride along the ocean, in the afternoon. You can rent bikes in Kapa'a and get a snow cone or popsicle afterwords. We even saw a whale at the end of the trail!!!
Hanalei Bay
One of our favorite place to visit was Hanalei Bay. Since we were up in Princeville, it wasn't much of a drive to get to either! The waves were high the first day we checked it out, so that is why we ended up at Lydgate Beach. But by Tuesday/Wednesday, the waves were perfect and everyone got a chance to try surfing! There's a pier the kids could also jump off of, and the waves were perfect for first time surfers! Even Ava got up for the first time! We spent two days here and I never wanted to leave. Brett went early to see the sunrises over the mountains!
Sunrises at Hanalei Bay
Church in Kapa'a
This is outside at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Kapa'a. It gets crowded there, so be there early if you want a seat, but I'm always grateful when we can worship and "stand in Holy places" on the Sabbath Day. It was ward conference, and they even sang "aloha oi" for a sister missionary who was leaving on her mission, which made it extra memorable.
Wimea Canyon
After lunch and church, we drove up to Waimea canyon. It is a a good 1 1/2 hour long drive, but you get to see these spectacular views!
Another little 10-15 minute drive takes you to this lookout, that was all clouded over, but, miraculously, some of the clouds moved so we could see the shore and this miraculous view 💗
Here you can see the clouds behind me
Spouting Rock
Before we drove up Waimea Canyon, we stopped at the spouting rock, seeing the waves blow through the holes is always cool and a chill thing to do on a Sunday, and a bonus, with cousins! This is the famous cathedral of trees you drive through.
Tubing and Cave Tour
Us on the safari truck on our way to the tubing cave adventure
This is the tallest peak in Kuai behind us we stopped at on our way to our tubing adventure.
One of the excursions we did was the tube ride, into some caves. It was fun and the caves sparkled a little, but I get nervous in dark places with a bunch of people in inclosed places with water, so I'd choose the kayak adventure over this if we had to make the choice again.
Kayaking and Hike to Secret Falls Adventure
Brett and I had planned on doing this kayaking adventure, but the weather was pouring rain in the morning, so we rescheduled it in the afternoon (when Jim and Sarah could be there anyway) and it worked out perfect! Our guide said we lucked out because a lot of people backed out of the tour so we almost had the whole river to ourselves! You kayak 2 miles up the river and then pull over to a hike. You walk along the river at one point and along paneled walk ways and tall grass and trees, it's a wonderful hike!
I'm so grateful we can do these things as a family!
We made it!!!
Jim was awesome to stay back and help my mother in law. She's a trooper!
Jim and Sarah!
So here's my list of favorites in order:
1-Kayak Adventure Tour
2-Hanalei Bay
3-Surfing at Hanalei Bay
3-Poi'ipu Beach
4-Snorkeling at Poi'ipu and the other place down the way
5-Napoli Coast Hike
6-Wimea Canyon
7-Bike Ride
8-Tubing and Cave tour
Our favorite places to Eat:
Rob's Good Times Grill
Panda Express (and the ice-cream shop next to it)
Jo's Jo's shaved ice (I'd give this a C really)
Keoki's Paradise (make a reservation)
Lilikoi - order the coconut shrimp!
(if I had to choose one good place, it'd be Dukes or Keoki's-this was my favorite meal of the stay, definitely had to order the fish!)
Costco Run the first day or two is always a good idea as well if you have a freezer/fridge. We liked the clothes selection as well as the salsa in the back by the local food isle stuff.
Anyway, these are my recommendations, but I know every vacation is different. Other recommendations are the helipcopter tour or the 4/4 tour!
I'm just grateful I could spend time being active every day being with my family I love!
Comments
Post a Comment